WhiteWalls ss_blog_claim=0715ad90bc7bfcde32c3d390e1f6ea2d Just A Thought: What is Happening People?

Thursday, November 13, 2008

What is Happening People?

I decided to make this into a series. There is a lot happening in our world that should be addressed!

Teens and Sex

Last week in church, I was talking with a teenage girl and her mother. And all the teen talked about was having a boyfriend; how she wanted one but only the ugly guys want to go out with her; how she thinks its because she's so tall that boys don't ask her out. Oh by the way...she's only 14. She is 14 years old worrying about boys. I tried talking some sense into her, but she wouldn't listen. Her mother didn't stop me...but she wasn't agreeing with me either. What is up people?!

Putting aside the fact that she is 14 yrs old, I firmly believe that girls (or really any female at any age) should enjoy their youth, then later they can think about having a relationship with the opposite sex. I spent much of my teenage years and the beginning of my adult years worrying about boys. Was I pretty enough, Was I funny enough, Was I smart enough? And when I was rejected (or just didn't have a special guy), I would put myself down. Then, when I finally "had" a boyfriend, I changed myself to be the girl that he wanted.

I didn't get to live at all. My relationship with the Lord suffered so greatly. I mean look at that last paragraph...it just wasn't me!

Finally, God gave me that "smack upside the head"...He opened my eyes. I can't say exactly what happened, but my eyes were opened...and I became sad. I was sad because, I didn't let myself live. I didn't get to experience all the great things someone at that age does - because some dumb boy hurt my feelings...or I was acting like someone else. I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

What we need to do is talk to our kids. We need to stop ignoring the problem...and get down to it! I live in Maryland and heard the other day...that a 10yr old girl just found out she was pregnant. People this problem is not going to go away - it's only going to get worse! Be honest with your kids! If you are...please let me give you a round of applause! But if you are not...if you think your kids are old enough or they know better - please, please, please talk to your kids now.

Once you start talking...you will be surprised at what happens. They are will start talking back. Teenagers are a handful (boy is that ever an understatement); I know sometimes you just want to walk away and let them make their own mistakes. Please don't.

Please remember that if your kid is acting out...it's because they need some attention.

Luke 23:28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids look for love outside of home, because often times they are not receiving love in the home. It's vitally important for us as parents to fill that void, but most important teach them that Jesus fill that void. Why do kids join gangs? Looking for belonging. Let' keep our kids close and they won't drift afar.
xoxo~

Add to Technorati Favorites
Visit twitter moms
 
The Home for Christian writers!
Churchcrunch.com - The Intersection of Technology and the Church