WhiteWalls ss_blog_claim=0715ad90bc7bfcde32c3d390e1f6ea2d Just A Thought: History Was Made

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History Was Made


Today history was made....well really yesterday. Today is a new day, a new direction. Being a minority, I am so happy that this has happened. It totally changes everything! Sherri Shepard on The View put it best this morning [SIDEBAR: I hate The View - but this needs to be said], I can now tell my kids - Yes you can. You can be anything you want to be.

I have lived in New York all of my life. I didn't really come across racism, but when I moved to Maryland...well it's alive and running. It's hard to witness, but I choose to ignore it and live my life - it was hard at Carey International but God got me through it. I have to admit I was getting a little discouraged with the way things are around here - wondering if I even want to raise kids in this type of environment. I mean I live in a little podunk town, where there are literally NO Puerto Ricans and inter-racial couples are rare! Every time I go shopping, I get the look - you know that look. It makes me sad though...really sad that people can be so ignorant.

Then as the election campaign was going around -- I heard some REALLY hateful things about Obama just because of his skin color. It made me even more fearful. What in the world is wrong with America??!!

Then he won, then an African American won the Presidency. I am not saying he was the right guy for the job or that he's the wrong guy. I'm just saying finally!

I don't have to worry about my kids not getting far because of their race. I can tell my kids: "You CAN become President and change the world" - finally.

0 comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites
Visit twitter moms
 
The Home for Christian writers!
Churchcrunch.com - The Intersection of Technology and the Church