WhiteWalls ss_blog_claim=0715ad90bc7bfcde32c3d390e1f6ea2d Just A Thought: Being a Worry wart...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Being a Worry wart...

Goodness gracious am I ever the worry wart. I have a bad tendency to worry about a lot of things...not everything mind you - but too much none-the-less. This is a huge battle for me - it's something I have been working on since I was...well, able to drive. Worrying. Doubting. Fear of the Unknown.

There is not one person in this world who can say: "Nope, I don't have that problem. I don't worry about anything. My life is grand!" Seriously people, can't you hear yourself? That's a load of garbage! If you are over the age of 10...you worry - it may not be a lot but you do.
There are SO many things that are out of our control, so many things that can go wrong...how can you not worry? You worry that your dinner is going to be less than par for your in-laws; or that you wont be passing that last final exam so you can graduate; or you worry that you will get the bus late and miss your doctors appointment; or not worrying that you wont be able to pay the rent/mortgage. You see? There is always something out of your control, and therefore there will be always something to worry about.

I say this because...you are not alone. I am right there with ya!...unfortunately we all are in some way shape or form.

Matthew 6:25 - 31 says: "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, [will He] not much more [clothe] you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day [is] its own trouble." (NKJV)

This is a perfect answer to the problem of worry. Its Gods promise, that He will never leave you or forsake you - that He is always there for you. If the birds in the air have something to eat...how much more will you have? If the lilies of the field are adorned so beautifully, how much more beautiful will you be, being a child of God?

Take this time right now to look back at your life. Go through each little detail and you will see God providing for you...even in the smallest ways. Remember that day you were starving and had no money to buy food...and all of a sudden you find a $20 bill in your pocket? I have personally seen God work mighty miracles in my life just like that...God is awesome isn't He?

Wait...what is that you ask me? "I have memorized that verse and still I worry about everything!" Not a problem, again we are all human. But I will respond to that statement by saying:

Phil 4: 6-7 says: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

These verses are a help-mate, if you will, to Matthew 6:25-31. It continues to say that you should give God everything...all your requests, all your worries. Pray, seek Him out. Ask God why, go ahead I dare ya - cause He will answer you. Tell Him your scared, tell Him you can't take it anymore. Tell Him everything. What He wants is for your to get to the point of: "I can't take this anymore Lord! What should I do?" Then and only then are you ready to stop.
Phil 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things [are] noble, whatever things [are] just, whatever things [are] pure, whatever things [are] lovely, whatever things [are] of good report, if [there is] any virtue and if [there is] anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.
Get ready to stop.

I went to Word Of Life Bible Institute several years ago, and in one of my classes I was taught by a man name Phil Moser (awesome teacher!). He said to memorize this verse and every time you started to worry (or have problems with your thought life), concentrate on these words! These 8 words are the basis of right thinking. He came up with the awesome idea to put these 8 words on a stop sign and memorize them! Post them up in your room (or wherever) and that way you can memorize easier by seeing them constantly. Here is an example:


During this scary time, I can not imagine anyone who is not worrying. I hope this helps you, as it helps me everyday. God Bless!

1 comments:

Constance said...

thank you!!! this is just what I needed today!

Add to Technorati Favorites
Visit twitter moms
 
The Home for Christian writers!
Churchcrunch.com - The Intersection of Technology and the Church