WhiteWalls ss_blog_claim=0715ad90bc7bfcde32c3d390e1f6ea2d Just A Thought: Power in the Name of Jesus

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Power in the Name of Jesus

Jessica was a prideful girl. She always thought she was a great Christian; in fact she led a small group of women in bible study. She was doing just fine. Or so she thought. She would lead one life in church and another outside of church. She was not doing fine at all, she watched what she wanted, wore what she wanted...etc. Never really took the spiritual world as something serious. Don't get me wrong, she was sweet as could be...but greatly misguided.

I have known Jessica for most of my life; she is not a woman to tell tall tales. She is not an exaggerator - well sometimes she is. But all in all, she is a level-headed, extremely logical woman. So when she told me this tale...I believed her whole heartedly.

1Jo 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

It was around 5:30am one morning. Jessica woke up to hear her mother in the kitchen making herself breakfast.

Jessica was sleeping on her side facing the wall, when she felt someone else in the room. She turned her head to see if there was anyone in the room. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw an old woman by her closet. The woman looked like death. She had gray skin that seemed to sparkle in the dim light, as if she was covered in dust. Her eyes were bright - like cats eyes reflecting a light. Her hair was white, but covered in the gray dust that covered her body.

She was just gray all over.

Jessica quickly turned on her back to sit up and scream out when the old lady ran out of her eyesight. Jessica tried to sit up...but she felt a pressure pushing her down. It was as if someone or something was pushing every body part down into the bed. Head, legs, arms, fingers, feet...everything. She felt arms wrap around her whole body, but there was nothing there.

"What the-?" Jessica's mouth clamped shut. She tried to open it but only her lips parted. Her teeth could not, would not separate.

Fear crept into her heart.

Then she heard the old lady talk, almost spitting into Jessica's ear. It was in a different language, but Jessica understood the hate and anger behind the voice.
She was going to die.

"Jesus," Jessica was finally able to mutter.

Yelping, the old lady stopped speaking. "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus..." Jessica kept saying the sweet name over and over. As each time the name of Jesus came out, the pressure alleviated.
"Jesus save me." Jessica finally was able to talk. There was no more pressure, there was nothing.

Jessica jumped out of the bed and searched her room. She looked at her bed as she saw the imprint of her body still deeply impressed into the mattress. "Oh my goodness."

Jessica ran downstairs to tell her mother. "Mom, you will never believe what just happened to me." Her body was still shaking as Jessica retold the story to her mother in detail. When she finished she expected her mother to tell her it was just her imagination, or it was a scary dream. To her shock her mother said: "That has happened to me too." She smiled at Jessica; “God has allowed you to witness something that many people will never - so that you can finally know how to pray. Here are some verses that comfort me and I know it will help you to calm down now:

Psa 18:2-6 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, [who is worthy] to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies. The pangs of death surrounded me, And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid. The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry came before Him, [even] to His ears.

"Sweetie, God has shown you this so that you can understand. Understand how to pray. Take this as it is - a blessing. Don't be afraid."

"Thanks Mom." Jessica went upstairs, still shaky - but filled with purpose. God had chosen her to be a witness to this. How many times has she mocked those who went through similar circumstances? What a fool she had been, limiting...well, basically the whole spiritual world. God wanted to use her, and she was finally ready to be used for His purpose.

All hail the power of Jesus' name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown him Lord of all.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Add to Technorati Favorites
Visit twitter moms
 
The Home for Christian writers!
Churchcrunch.com - The Intersection of Technology and the Church